Thursday, February 08, 2007

Car Hunting

Today I went searching for a car to replace my wifes current car. The car she currently has is a great car, and she loves it, but it is getting a bit old and it is about time to upgrade.
I am not one to purchase cars brand new. I feel that buying new is poor value. Thankfully there are many people who like to purchase new and have the money to be able to do so. Hopefully in the future I will be able to do so but for the time being I feel that a car that is less than 10 years old constitutes very good value for money if you can find a low km example in good condition. This is even moreso the case with the choice of a quality import vehicles that are available.

I am the first to admit that I love turbo cars, ever since I first drove one which was a Mazda FC RX7. It was a great car and it initiated me into the world of turbo performance. In hindsight it was not an incredibly fast car, but it certainly was on a much higher level than any domestic car I had driven up to that point.
When I first bought my Toyota JZX90 MarkII I was absolutely stoked with the power, luxury and pure driving pleasure that it brought me. After some modifications it has become a lethal powerhouse of excitment. I know there are a few exceptionally fast vehicles out there that would be quicker than mine, such as 800HP+ Supras and blown big block V8 cars, but there is definitely no mass produced production cars that can come anywhere near my "Chaser" as they are mistakenly know.

My point here is that once you have tasted a pleasurable, good handling, very powerful car, you simply don't want to settle for a limp econo-box that is purely an A-B machine.
So today I did the drive around to a bunch of the import dealerships to see what they had in stock. My wife loves the Toyota Soarer, but I like the options, space and power of the Toyota Aristo. I would love to have a JZX100 Chaser but my wif thinks that they are too boxy and masculine. The Aristo, of course in the V specification has the same 3.0L twin turbo 6 cylinder motor as the famous JZA80 Supra. If I was to get a Soarer I think I would like it to be later than a 1996 model so that it had the single turbo VVTi motor. Again we differ on opinions with the transmission, where I prefer a manual cogswapper and my wife prefers the auto slushbox.

Ultimately I think she will win out, simply because whe will be driving it every day and I will only drive it occasionally. The only problenm so far is that VVTi Soarers are not nearly as common as the dime-a-dozen TT Soarers. I may have to import one myself if I cannot find one locally. Any one know of a nice low km VVTi turbo Soarer up for sale??

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for writing this.